Sunday, October 19, 2008

writer alert: john folker


i have recently been trying to include some art from my close friends and family..... my freshman year of college i lived in the dorms with a good friend from high school named john folker. we soon became friends with a kid that lived across the hallway named stuart. i am proud to say that stuart introduced john and i to a whole new world. never had we thought about poetry, art, or literature. years later after returning from a mission i continued to exchange creative ideas with john. most of the time we would talk music or art, but every once in a while we would exchange a poem or some other kind of personal writing. rarely did we ever show these poems to people other than our small circle of friends. this is a poem that he sent me two years ago. i really love the honesty of this poem. as you can see, this poem has stuck with me. two years later i feel like it is time to share this with everybody. simply an amazing piece of creativity!!!!



A Crystal Ball and a Calculator

When I ride away today
I won’t wear my seatbelt
Because I would rather die today
If the crystal ball intends it

And I’ll leave behind this parking lot
Of countless calculators
Who plan their whole lives to perfection
But turn out no surprises

If that’s what you call happiness
Then you can gladly have it
For happiness is never grand
Content is never glamour

So I’ll drive this creepy road myself
Since no one will come with me
You call it a waste of gas
I call it adventure

And I may leave a mess behind
From years of instability
But happiness is never grand
Especially if it’s scripted

No comments: